Bushido Savage Wave starter set, Part 9

This session I will be focusing exclusively on the Bakemono. Alot of the work has already been done on them – as I would have a colour mixed on my palette for the Oni, I would use the same colour wherever it’s supposed to go on the Bakemono. Their skin colour, though, is wholly unique to them. I was originally going to use the studio colour scheme for these guys, but I decided I wanted something brighter, as theirs is a subdued green-brown. I really want these guys to glow.

Take note of the model I am using for demonstration… all the Bakemono have their own cards, but I am not sure which one he is supposed to be, not that it matters to me: I’m calling him Dirty Sanchez. Look at that pencil thin¬†moustache, at that lecherous grin… you just know he’s into poop games and has free candy in his van.

The first step is to give the models a liberal wash of GW Thraka Green and VGC Green Ink.

DSC_0261 DSC_0262

Now, I begin layering the hilights. I am using RMS Leaf Green. I’m using this to add some tonal range to the deepest shadows, and to correct areas where I had some unsightly transitions with the airbrush.

DSC_0263 DSC_0264

I begin hilighting in earnest now, with RMS Pale Green.

DSC_0265 DSC_0266

The next layer is RMS Moth Green.

DSC_0267 DSC_0268

Followed by a layer of an RMS Moth Green, RMS Lemon Yellow mix (1:1).

DSC_0269 DSC_0270

Next, a layer of pure RMS Lemon Yellow.

DSC_0271 DSC_0272

Followed by a layer of an RMS Lemon Yellow/RMS Linen White mix (1:1).

DSC_0273 DSC_0274

Lastly, a layer of pure RMS Linen White.

DSC_0275 DSC_0276

 

I’m really happy with the tonal range, the hilights really pop, they seem to have this inner glow about them, but the hilights appear washed out. I fretted for a while what colour to glaze them with – all my greens will end up cooling the skin tones down, and I kind of grew fond of the yellowed toned green skin. However, I was worried a pure yellow glaze will ruin the green skin tone entirely… something had to be done, so I decided to go with my most yellow biased green ink: VGC Green Ink. I mixed my glaze up and was seconds away form applying it, when I decided to add a drop of P3 Yellow ink to the mix. Perfect! It had exactly the hue I was looking for – kind of a lemon-lime colour.

My glaze mix was VGC Green Ink, RMS FLow Improver (to break the surface tension), VMC Matt Medium (to remove the sheen, and thin down the ink) and P3 Yellow Ink. (3:3:2:1 ratios)

 

DSC_0277 DSC_0278

I’m very pleased with how they came out. This will actually be my last step-by-step for this project – the next stage is detailing and touchups, followed by the custom bases.

I will do one more WIP when the detailing is finished, then possibly another when I finish the bases, but the next few steps are pretty fussy, but also straightforward.

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

~ by Chris on February 17, 2013.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: